Monday, July 02, 2007

Hammock


My significant other is very fond of hammocks. We don't have one (basically because we don't have any place to tie it), but she is always mentioning how nice it would be if a hammock were available on a nice day, and she sort of scopes out hammocks on the beach when planning vacations, etc.

Tonight, we had dinner on the deck. For some reason, it was just a beautiful night. We had some steaks which I grilled, her favorite salad, corn on the cob, edamame, and a humble but tasty merlot. When the meal was over and the kids had taken the dishes into the house, my bride and I lingered for just a bit, enjoying a rare, private moment in the unseasonably cool weather.

Inevitably, she began wishing for a hammock, scheming places on the deck for it to hang, dreaming of lazy afternoons spent swinging back and forth while chores go unfinished. Maybe it was the wine, but I was feeling amorous, and I mentioned that it might be fun to find a private hammock for two to share, au naturel.

She was horrified by the idea. "Naked, in a hammock?", she asked, incredulously. "Can you imagine the THINGS that would get stuck... in the holes?"

So much for my idea of romance.

No comments: